Micanopy is a residential and commercial community, not a created or reconstructed village; it traces its history back to 1821 with the establishment of Wanton’s trading post and a post office. In that year, the name of the spot was changed from Cuscowilla (a small Indian village in the area) to Micanopy, the chief of the Seminoles in the Paynes Prairie area. The Arredondo Land Grant, which included Paynes Prairie, Gainesville, and most of Orange Lake, surrounded Micanopy. It was the first area in the territory available for settlement under United States law. For survey purposes, a center point for the whole land grant was established, now at the center of the intersection of Cholokka Boulevard and Ocala Street in Micanopy. Local historians believe that the main street of the town, Cholokka Boulevard, followed an ancient Indian trading path.