Government House faces the plaza on the west side, on St. George Street between Cathedral Place and King Street. The 1935 building stands on the site that housed the homes and offices of all of the colonial governors. The modern replica follows the outward appearance of the structure originally built in 1710. The Spanish built the original Government House as part of the reconstruction of the city following the English raid of 1702.
During the administration of Franklin Roosevelt, in 1935, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) began the new replica structure, incorporating some of the original walls. The new Government House building then served for a period as the central U.S. Post Office for St. Augustine.